The Rt. Rev. Charles T. Gaskell, ninth Bishop of Milwaukee, died Sept. 14 in a Milwaukee hospital. He was 80. Bishop Gaskell served the Diocese of Milwaukee as its bishop from 1974 until his retirement in 1985.
A native of St. Paul, Minn., Bishop Gaskell was a graduate of the University of Minnesota and Seabury-Western Theological Seminary. He was ordained deacon and priest in 1944 in the Diocese of Minnesota, and he spent the early years of his ministry there as priest-in-charge of Holy Trinity, International Falls, and St. Peter's, Warroad. He was curate of St. Matthew's, Evanston, Ill., in 1948-49, then was rector of Trinity, Rock Island, Ill., 1949-57. He was rector of St. Mark's, Milwaukee, 1958-66; rector of St. Luke's, Evanston, Ill., 1966-70; and dean of St. Luke's Cathedral, Orlando, Fla., 1971-73. He was elected to the episcopate in 1973 and spent a year as bishop coadjutor, before becoming the diocesan the following year.
He was a member of the board of directors of the Living Church Foundation from 1985 to 1996, and served as its secretary for a time. Among his other memberships were standing committees in three dioceses, board of trustees of Nashotah House, executive board of the Anglican Fellowship of Prayer, Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, Society of Mary, and priest associate of the Sisters of the Holy Nativity.
In recent years Bishop Gaskell had been a resident of St. John's Home, Milwaukee.
He is survived by his wife, Mabel, two sons, a daughter, several grandchildren and a great-grandchild.